Monday 10 December 2012

My bright idea(s)

In the last week I had to ideas. One I can't share just yet (but I want to!) and the other was concerning potty training my daughter.

I always have ideas. Some good some bad and some that never make it past the idea stage. But these two ideas have paid off, at least so far. And that is a good feeling.

My potty training idea had to do with the reward system and dog training (I know, so terrible). I was reading this article about how people take their dogs for a walk and the dog takes forever to do its business This is because every time the dog goes the walk is done and the dog has learned this. Owners think the dog needs to play to "work it out" but he doesn't. He just has learned if he poos fun time is over. Instead, you stay in one place and wait however long it takes for the dog to go. Then you let him run and play. Soon he will go quickly and you can have a scheduled amount of frolic time.

Now, you might be wondering how on earth I applied this to my daughter. I can't exactly crate her or not let her play. and treats didn't motivate her at all. No, i took something from her she constantly asks for. I took tv. And if she pees or poos in the potty she gets to watch 1 show.

Tuesday we put it into effect and had many tears because she "no want potty" and she "want 't'.

Wednesday was a bust until after peeing her pants she sat on her potty and had a poo. I think I teared up a little. Then an hour later she had another pee.

Thursday was a town day with some success in the evening.

Friday was a write off because of parties and townday

Saturday another party but sone success in the evening.

Sunday Daddy had some success

And today while we had some wetting of the drawers (she hasn't quite learned to tell before she starts peeing but she sure can stop it) she did everything in the toilet and was dry through her nap.

God is good.

As to the other idea you'll just have to wait and see.



1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed seeing this post when it was posted. So here's my "Yay!" now. Potty training is hard.

    And what is the new idea? Can it be shared now? hahaha

    ReplyDelete