Wednesday 9 November 2011

The volatile pregnant lady

If you haven't guessed already I am the volatile pregnant lady. For some reason this pregnancy I have been on a much larger emotional roller coaster. I seem to have less gumption to rein in the tears and I also like to pick fights with my husband. I know I am being unreasonable but I have the hardest time stopping myself! I have to say I have one well used pregnancy card. I can also say my husband is fully with me on the decision of having only two children. In fact, I think he would make the decision without me if I wanted more!

Yesterday was a good example of me being on the edge. We took our daughter to the nearby city to see her pediatrician. It is basically just for him to say she is little, smart and on her own growth curve. But this time he wanted to do some blood work for allergies now that she is a little older and just double check her growth hormone. Her appointment was at 1:30 and we hadn't really got done anything before but I was already exhausted. At the hospital I pulled the pregnancy card when the room was too small for both my husband and I to be in with her and I got to sit in the waiting room. It was a bad move as hearing her screams from another room made me one to run in there and rescue her. In the end they couldn't get enough blood for all the tests and I have to take her in again to give more blood.

For the rest of our city shopping trip we had a very upset little girl who insisted on being carried. I must say my husband and I were definitely very edgy as Dassa spent a lot of time screaming in stores when we were forced to sit her in the cart for a break or just to look at something. She is usually very good in public so we are not used to dealing with her like this in a store. In the end I just wanted to cry. I didn't want to go into another store or even have something different to eat. We went to Mcdonalds and then headed home. I almost didn't want to make our last stop. Which was to pick up our two new cats.

Yes, that is right, we now have five cats. But I am married so cannot be a crazy cat lady!

But in all this I did have a highlight of the day. When we were in the mall and I was feeling like I couldn't take another step I heard someone say, "What a beautiful pregnant woman." Not really thinking it was being said to me but being a pregnant woman  I looked towards the voice to meet the eyes of a middle aged woman. She smiled at me and the said "You are a lovely pregnant person".

I smiled, thanked her and felt much better. I am used to people commenting on my daughter. But her words, words for me only, made me feel special. Something that as a mother and pregnant person I really needed. I thank God for sending her across my path and pray he blesses her for her kindness.

So you see, the smallest thing can brighten someone's day. It is a reminder to me that complimenting people should come as easy and natural to us as censoring or criticizing them.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was there to hug your belly, whisper to your little one, and tell you what a beautiful pregnant woman you are, Heidi. I am sorry today was a rough one, but I am so glad to hear that God brought someone across your path to brighten it!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your rough day, I can sympathize! Although not with the pregnant part right now. What a blessing that woman was! Praise God for her! I am looking forward to finding out more about your little bundle!

    ReplyDelete